In the middle of delivering the report, he noticed that not only was she not really paying attention, but she was also playing Yahtzee on her phone. How did he know she was playing Yahtzee? The phone screen was reflected in her glasses. There could not be a surer sign that the data was not connecting and was less interesting than a phone game of Yahtzee. Hear the full version of this story and a few more in this new episode of Speaking Influence which is about influencing with data stories with professional data storyteller Sam Knowles.
In this season 3 episode 11 of the Speaking Influence podcast you will find out:
- How to present data in an interesting and engaging way
- What Sam did to annoy Naomi Klein in the 2nd edition of ‘No Logo’
- Why we’re all in the persuading business
- Why data can be persuasive with data stories
- How too much data works against you
- How the BeeGees have saved many lives and continue to do so
- Why you must gauge your audience data tolerance
Sam is the author founder of data storytelling consultancy Insight Agents and the author of both Narrative by Numbers (2018) and How To Be Insightful (2020). He is currently finishing his next book, Asking Smarter Questions, which will be published by Routledge in July 2022. Sam is the co-founder and co-host of The Small Data Forum Podcast.